1. Only KU band is available in this area. For wireless transmission, UHF (470-860Mz) is undoubtedly the best choice, because the waves in UHF band are with strong diffraction capability.
It supports both fixed and mobile reception. But there are two disadvantages of this band:
1) there are many civilian communication services working in this band, such as GSM, interphone, etc. The bandwidth that can be used for digital TV transmission is very narrow, around 40M, which cannot meet the demand of increasing programs.
2) Transmitter consumption is very huge; the consumption of one transmitter for covering 50KM will be about 10KW.
2. In the past, MMDS system working in 2500-2700MHz is able to transmit more than 100 digital programs and access two way internet service. Meanwhile, the power consumption of MMDS transmitter is very low. But, as the coming of 4G communication, this band of all over the world will be occupied. Therefore, KU band: 10-12GHz is the only choice.
3. Advantages of MVDS/MVDDS:
1) About 2000MHz bandwidth can be used for transmission or relay, which is able to carry 1000 digital TV programs and 1Gbps high speed Internet data.
2) Unlicensed frequency: there is no other communication service working in this band. Therefore, no interferences will happen. Even no need to apply for license from the administration department.
3) The power consumption of transmitter is extremely low.
4. The main station is able to cover 30KM radius omni-directionally. For more coverage, it can be reached by constructing several relay stations with signal re-generation and frequency division multiplexing technology. Maximally, the signal can go up to 1000KM.
5. CPE of MVDS is very cheap. The subscriber can receive hundreds of digital TV programs with no more than USD30. And to access to Google, Facebook, YouTube, and other websites using the STB with android (the STB should access to the local existing internet.), the cost is around USD50.
6. The system can be upgraded to triply play (2 Way), providing Internet & VOIP services. The cost of CPE (DISH+TRANSCEIVER) will be around USD300. Each subscriber is possible to get up to 50Mbps internet.
MVDDS (Multichannel Video and Data Distribution Service) is a new type of television and Internet delivery technology,its also called “wireless triple play”solution.
This technology is widely used and has vast potential in the general areas of:
High-speed internet downlink transport for home users and corporate users (LAN).
Broadcast/Re-broadcast of digital television programs.
The versatility of MVDDS system allows for integration of these two applications. MVDDS is a system capable of terrestrial television broadcast and simultaneous satellite television re-broadcast, as well as providing subscribers with high-speed Internet access.
This system will use 10.2-10.7GHz, offering fast downloads but adopt 3G/4G for uploads. It is a potential competitor to cable for delivery of triple play or triple-threat services (voice, data, and video).
In most instances an MVDDS system is used to provide service to less urban areas. This transmitter is placed on a tower or appropriately elevated location outside the urban area to avoid multi-path problems associated with transmitters located within an urban area.
Not only is the MVDDS system capable of transmitting digital quality television programming, but it is also used for high-speed data distribution.
The digital signal transmitted from the MVDDS system is modulated in differing ways according to the type of system being purchased. MVDDS systems can use both DVB-S/QPSK and DVB-S2/8PSK modulation for television and Data distribution.
The DVB-S/QPSK and DVB-S2/8PSK standards are widely employed to broadcast digital video programs. The DVB protocol is proven to be a very effective way, both technically and economically, of transmitting digital content with the MVDDS system. The DVB compatible stream can contain several video and audio channels combined with data content in MCPC transmission. The ratio between data/video/audio can vary dynamically as required by the applications and services. This also enables better space segment utilization by using a single carrier rather than the need for a dedicated carrier per application.
3.Digital Television Broadcasting
Received satellite programs, or terrestrial television programs, and local video productions, are fed directly into specially designed encoders that compress both video and audio source signals into a continuous output bit stream with a constant data rate. A wide area of coverage can be achieved by using a cellular structure. The use of repeaters can relay hundreds of analog or digital channels over many kilometers.
4.DVB MVDDS broadband for High-Speed IP
The MVDDS system enables data delivery to end users at speeds exceeding 7 Mbps for each customer. Currently the total speed is 60 Mbps per transponder.
This DVB based MVDDS system can compete with any modern consumer data delivery method other than Fiber-to-the-Home (FTTH).
5.MVDDS GigaBand System
The downlink of this system is in KU-band occupying 10.2 to 10.7 GHz. A MVDDS tower will employee multiple sectors, each sector capable of full spectral usage in both polarizations. A typical tower is usually 2 sectors to start and at maximum capacity could grow to 6 sectors.
The sectors will use 20 MHz channels with 50 active transponders. One transponder will be held as redundant in case of failure. The channels used are 20 MHz wide OFDM modulated (802.11) channels with 802.11 channel masks. This will result in 43 Mbps per channel.
The uplink is in the frequency range of 5.725-5.825 GHz range. This allows for an output power of 4 watts.
The 802.11 technology used is flexible in both modulation schemes and channel width. This is one of the most widely utilized wireless standards. The table below shows the supported modulation schemes:
Modulation Modulator bandwidth using 20 MHz Channels
QPSK 3/4 21.7 Mbps
QAM 16 (16QAM) 1/2 28.9 Mbps
QAM 16 (16QAM) 3/4 43.3 Mbps
QAM 64 (64QAM) 3/4 65 Mbps
The above modulation types are adaptively (increasing with signal quality) encoded and sent over an OFDM-256 inside the 20 MHz channels being used in up-link and the same for down link channels.
The system uses OFDM based 802.11standards to implement basic fixed wireless point to multipoint service.
5.2 Platform and Architecture
The downlink to subscriber's CPE is up converted to 10.2 GHz to 10.7 GHz from L-Band at the modulators.
The uplink from subscribers uses 3G/4G existing network to send their requests to the headend.
6.MVDDS GigaBeam System
Gigabeam MVDDS system is an asymmetrical network system delivering data services at a high data rate to a large number of user stations via terrestrial Technology Transmitters using DVB standards. By using standard technology (which is also used for commercial Set-top boxes) and taking advantage of the high data rates available in the microwave spectrum, a very favorable cost/performance ratio can be achieved. The current implementation can deliver data at a rate up to 2.2 Gbps per sector.
7.Potential Users & Applications
lHigh-Speed Internet Access for small to large organizations
lMVDDS networks offer an attractive medium for providing low cost high-speed Internet/Intranet access for LAN users.
lHigh Speed Intranet Distribution
lData Bank Services - Companies implementing their own private networks could establish new services or provide "on-line" services to their current customer base.
lISPs (for high-speed backbone connection)
lSchools equipped with computer classrooms
lBusiness centers and hotels providing Internet access as part of their services
lPlanes, Boats, etc.
MVDDS Technology can provide a low cost solution with fast deployment for any type of IP and Television application and service.
Wireless MVDDS HDTV/SDTV Broadcast and Reception
Customer Billing Solution
Wireless MVDDS Full Duplex IP Network Connection
Voice Over IP (VoIP)
H.264 or HEVC HDTV
Closed Circuit TV Network
GSM Phone Relay Interconnection
Customer Billing Solution
Advantages of MVDDS System
About 2000MHz bandwidth can be used for transmission or relay, which is able to carry 1000 digital TV programs and 1Gbps high speed Internet data.
More than 140 analog or high definition channels.
Unlicensed frequency: there is no other communication service working in this band. Therefore, no interferences will happen. Even no need to apply for license from the administration department.
Ultra-broadband transmitter is specially designed for this system, which is able to work with 500MHz bandwidth. The power consumption of transmitter is extremely low.
The main station is able to cover 30KM radius omni-directionally. For more coverage, it can be reached by constructing several relay stations with signal re-generation and frequency division multiplexing technology. Maximally, the signal can go up to 1000KM.
CPE of MVDS is very cheap. The subscriber can receive hundreds of digital TV programs with no more than USD30. And to access to Google, Facebook, YouTube, and other websites using the STB with android (the STB should access to the local existing internet.), the cost is less than USD50.
Besides of the digital video distribution services, it also supports Internet & VOIP services. Each subscriber is possible to get up to 50Mbps internet.
Multi language and hi-fi stereo sound
Very low cost compared to competing technologies.
Long time proven technology.